CAST-IRON PORTERHOUSE STEAK
- 1 2-inch thick T-Bone or Porterhouse, preferably USDA Prime
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Remove steak from refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking, to bring steak to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.
- Season all sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over high heat until smoking. Sear the steak for 2 minutes on the first side, then flip.
- Place garlic, rosemary and thyme on top of steak. Add butter to pan.Using a large spoon, baste butter on top of herbs and steak for 2 minutes. Flip and baste other side for about 15 seconds.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for about 5-7 minutes for Medium Rare.
- Rest the steak on a cutting board or wire rack for about 10 minutes.