- 1 ready-made pie dough
- Pie filling
- Cut the pie dough into strips about 1/2-inch wide.
- Take three strips, and pinch them together at the top. Take the far right strand and pull this under the middle strand; this should now be in the middle. Take the same strand and pull it over the strand on the far left. Repeat this process until you have a complete braid.
- Seal the edges of your pie crust with egg wash and lay the braids around the edge. (You will probably need three to cover the rim of a pie dish). Trim any excess strands and join each strand together.
- Lattice Pie Top
- Cut the pie dough into strips about 1-inch wide.
- Start by laying strips of dough vertically across the pie, leaving a gap between each strip. Carefully pull the tops of 2 vertical strips down halfway and lay 1 horizontal strip of pie dough across the pie. Flip the 2 vertical strips back up, and then from the bottom carefully flip up the 3 remaining vertical dough strips.
- Lay down another piece of pie down horizontally, and carefully flip back down the vertical pie strips over the horizontal piece of dough.
- Repeat this process until the entire pie has lattice decoration. Once pie top is latticed, use a knife to follow the rim of the pie dish, trimming off any excess dough.
- Fluted Pie Crust
- Roll the pie dough onto your pie dish, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Tuck the excess under to create a thicker pie rim.
- Using your thumb and forefinger on one hand, push with the other thumb to create a crimp.
- Star Top
- Start with your pie dough rolled out to a slightly larger circle than your pie dish.
- Using your favorite 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut shapes out of the dough, removing the cut out pieces of dough and leaving a 1-inch border around the edge.
- Once all the cut-out shapes are removed, carefully lift the remaining piece of dough and place it on top of the pie.
- Use a knife to run along the edges of your pie pan to cut off any excess dough. Using a fork, crimp down the edges of the dough to create a seal all the way around.