- 1 pound large oyster mushrooms, ends removed
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Steamed buns
- Hoisin sauce, as needed
- Fresh cilantro
- Salt-roasted carrots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To make the oyster mushroom bacon, combine the oils, liquid smoke and salt in a large bowl. Toss the mushrooms to coat. Place the mushrooms gill side down in a cast-iron pan or baking sheet, taking care not to crowd them. Place in oven.
- After 10 minutes, if there is a lot of moisture in the bottom of the pan or sheet, remove from the oven and tilt to collect and discard with a spoon.
- Return to the oven and bake for 5 minutes more, watching them carefully to avoid burning. Flip, then bake for about 5 minutes more, or until they have a nice color around the edges, keeping a close eye on them. Transfer to paper towels to drain slightly and allow them to crisp up.
- To serve, assemble the steamed buns with hoisin sauce, one or two pieces of mushroom, cucumbers, jalapeño, carrots and fresh cilantro. Serve warm.