- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk, plus more as needed
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend (mozzarella, provolone, Parmesan, Fontina)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium stainless steel saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk to combine, removing any lumps. Cook until the mixture is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk, whisking continuously until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.