- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Pink, blue and purple food colouring
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Blue food colouring
- ¾ cup white candy melts
- 4 pieces each of dark blue and teal candy melts
- Pink, gold and silver sprinkles
- Silver star sprinkles
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and eggs one a time, mixing with each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add this to the batter in 2 additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Divide the batter into 3 bowls and dye them pink, blue and purple. Pour each shade of batter into muffins cups in a lined muffin tin.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Pipe a ring of buttercream on top of each cupcake with the round piping tip.
- Dunk the cupcakes into the sprinkles, fully coating the buttercream. Pipe a swirl of buttercream with the star-shaped piping tip and top with silver star sprinkles.
- Top with a mermaid fin. Enjoy!
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, then beat for 3-5 minutes, until fluffy.
- Dye the buttercream pale blue. Divide the buttercream in half. Place half in a piping bag fitted with a large, round piping tip.
- Place the other half in a piping bag fitted with a large, star-shaped piping tip.
- Divide the white candy melts into 2 microwave-safe bowls. Add the dark blue candy melts to one bowl and the teal candy melts to another.
- Microwave for 30-second intervals until fully melted.
- Pour the teal chocolate into the tail portion of a mermaid fin chocolate mold. Pour the dark blue chocolate into the fin portion.
- Place the mold in the freezer until the candy melts have set, about 15-20 minutes.
- Unmold and set on a tray. Combine the pink, gold and silver sprinkles in a bowl.