- 1 3/4 cups plus 1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons whole milk
- To serve:
- Maple syrup
- Whipped butter
- Into a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl, mix together the melted butter, egg, vanilla extract, milk and buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- To cook, melt a little butter in a frying pan over medium-high and place a ladleful of the batter into the frying pan. Cook until you can see bubbles starting to form on the surface, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook for another 2 minutes on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with bacon, maple syrup and whipped butter on the side.