- 4 large ripe plantains, skin on
- 4 tablespoons Harina P.A.N. (white precooked cornmeal)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound Mexican chorizo, casing removed and crumbled
- 6 ounces pepper jack cheese, cubed
- Canola oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large garlic clove
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the plantains, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Carefully remove the skins and discard. Mash plantains into a puree. Add Harina P.A.N. and salt. Combine until a dough forms. Add more Harina P.A.N. if the mixture is too runny.
- Cook the chorizo until brown; set aside to cool.
- Grab a handful of the plantain dough, and split into 2 equal portions. Form each piece into a small bowl shape, and fill with chorizo and pepper jack cheese. Join the 2 halves together, and smooth to make a round ball. Deep-fry over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to cool.
- For the aioli: In a blender, add the cilantro, lime juice, mayo, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend until well combined. Add a teaspoon of water for a smoother consistency.
- Serve plantain chorizo balls with aioli on the side.