African Peanut Stew With Chicken
Give your typical chicken stew a spicy and nutty twist.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
- 1 cup peanuts, divided
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 (28 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch swiss chard, chopped
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Cooked basmati rice, for serving
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sauté until soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Season chicken and add to the pan. Cook for a few minutes until it begins to brown.
- Add 1/2 cup peanuts, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chard and cook an additional 3-4 minutes. Stir in peanut butter. Turn off heat.
- Serve over rice, garnished with cilantro and crushed peanuts.