- 1 (12-14 ounces) block extra-firm silken tofu
- 1 cup dashi broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- Canola oil, for deep-frying
- 2 cups potato starch
- 1 tablespoon Shichimi Togarashi
- Kosher salt
- Green onions, finely chopped
- Nori, confettied
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Drain tofu liquid in the sink. Cut tofu into 1-inch-thick matchsticks. Place tofu sticks on the paper towel and pat completely dry on all sides using more paper towels.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until hot, about 350°F.
- In a wide dish, combine potato starch, Shichimi Togarashi and salt. Dredge the tofu pieces completely in the potato starch mixture. Fry in the skillet until all sides are golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- In a small sauce pot, combine dashi, soy and mirin. Bring to a simmer and turn off heat. Taste and adjust seasoning. Transfer sauce to a small bowl.
- Serve tofu immediately with sauce. Garnish with green onions and nori.
- Cook with soul. Eat with pleasure!