- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup butter, cubed and chilled
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1/2 pound Cantal cheese, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, place potatoes in cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook for approximately 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Drain water and return potatoes to pot. Press through a ricer and heat potatoes on low for 2 minutes, or until all water is drained from potatoes.
- Turn off heat and add butter a few cubes at a time while stirring continuously. Add heavy cream and continue to stir. Pour in Cantal a few handfuls at a time, taking care to stir quickly to melt the cheese. Once all cheese is added, serve immediately.
- Aligot is best served with sausage and vegetables. Aligot can be kept warm in a slow cooker or reheated on very low heat, and will keep up to 4 days refrigerated.