- 4 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 2 firm green pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, plus extra to serve
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees. To make the frangipane, place the butter, sugar and vanilla in a small food processor and process for 1 to 2 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Add the egg yolk, almond meal and flour. Process to combine. Press 2 pastry sheets together to make 1 thick sheet. Repeat with remaining sheets.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut 6 rounds from the pastry. Place on baking trays lined with parchment paper. Gently score each round using a round pastry cutter.
- Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons of the frangipane evenly onto each round and top with the pear slices, overlapping slightly. Brush with maple syrup and cook for 15 minutes.
- Brush with maple syrup and cook for a further 10 minutes or until puffed and golden. Allow to cool slightly. Top with maple syrup to serve.