How to make Amatriciana, spaghetti with bacon and tomatoes.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 large handful coarse salt
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Guanciale, chopped
- 1, 28 ounces can whole peeled 'san marzano' tomatoes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 wedge Pecorino Romano, freshly grated
- Fresh basil bunch
- Whole dried pepperoncini
- 2 tablespoons cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup approx pasta water
- Bring a pot of water to a roaring boil, and add a large handful of coarse sea salt, cook the spaghetti.
- Heat a large saute pan and add a little olive oil, add the sliced guanciale, and render the fat.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat.
- In the same fat, add the scored garlic clove, sliced red onions and saute on high heat for 4-6 minutes.
- Add 1 whole dried chili to the saute pan, remove the garlic, add tomato paste and white wine.
- Lower the heat, and using a wooden spoon mix well scraping the guanciale bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Carefully add the can of tomatoes and stir well, breaking up the whole tomatoes with the back of the wood spoon.
- Once the pasta is al dente, remove the pasta and place directly into the saute pan along with the pasta water.
- Mix well and serve hot.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE