- 7 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon rum
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 box puff pastry, defrosted according to package directions
- 8 apples
- 8 pears
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- In a medium bowl, mix butter and sugar together with a spatula until fluffy. Add egg, beating well until incorporated. Stir in almond meal, vanilla extract, almond extract, rum and salt, and mix well. Set aside while cutting the puff pastry.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- With a paring knife, cut the puff pastry dough into apple and pear shapes, using the size of your fruit as a guideline. Cut out a stem and leaf for each puff pastry and add to each “fruit”. Place in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the fruit.
- Slice fruit thinly, keeping in mind the shape of the pastries.
- Remove puff pastry fruits from the refrigerator. Top them with a teaspoon of almond filling, then place fruit slices lengthwise over top mimicking the shape of the fruit, arranging them in parallel rows. Leave about a 1/4-inch border around the outside to allow the puff to rise. Brush with egg wash.
- Lower oven temperature to 425 degrees, and bake the pastries for 15 to 18 minutes, until browned and bubbling.