Apple Cake Pops
Apple flavored vanilla cake decorated as an apple totally counts towards an apple a day, right?
- 215g flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 132g sugar
- 187ml milk
- 65ml oil
- 60g butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup stewed apple or crushed canned apples.
- 1 drop green food gel
- 1 drop yellow food gel
- 1 cup yellow choc melts (melted)
- 1 cup green choc melts (melted)
- 200g dark choc (melted)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp vanilla frosting (from a can is fine)
- To make cake preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a 20x15cm cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture. Then add stewed or canned apple and mix until combined.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt,, green and yellow food gel, oil and vanilla extract and mix until just well combined and no dry ingredients are visible.
- Pour batter into prepare cake tin and bake for 30 min. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Using clean hands, crumble the cake into a large mixing bowl. Add frosting and mix until you can form a ball in your hands. Grab about 2 tbsp of cake mix and roll a ball using your palms. Gently pinch the bottom of the ball to create an apple shape and then use your finger to create an indent at the top. Chill for 30 min.
- Melt green and yellow choc melts in the microwave. Add coconut or vegetable oil and mix until very well combined.
- Dip the tip of a paper straw into the green choc and gently insert into the bottom of the apple cake pop. Chill for 10 min.
- Dip the apple pops into the green chocolate and allow to set. Standing up. You can either put them into a piece of styrofoam or a mug.
- To make stalks add melted dark chocolate into a piping bag and pipe some stalks. Pipe a little lead on top of the stalk. Let it set before adding it to the top of the apples using some more dark choc as glue.
- Cake pops can be stored in an air tight container for up to three days.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE