- 4 ounces egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus additional for buttering pan
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 16 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated cinnamon
- 1 Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apple
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 6 1/2 by 3-inch springform pan.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the egg noodles and cook for 4 to 6 minutes until al dente. Drain in a colander and return to the pan. Stir in the butter to melt and evenly coat the noodles. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except apples. Add the buttered noodles and stir to combine. Gently fold in the egg whites, and pour the whole mixture into the springform pan.
- Slice the apple towards the core to make about 20 segments of apple, keeping the stem intact. Arrange the apples in a fan-like pattern over the top.
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle generously over the apple.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove, and allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting. Serve hot or cold. Will keep, refrigerated, for 5 days.