- Unsalted butter or oil
- 1 slice of thick bread
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Additional toppings: Tabasco sauce and salt & pepper
- In a large skillet, heat a thin layer of butter or oil over medium heat. Cut a round out of the bread using a biscuit cutter or a glass. (A thin slice of bread will need about a 2- to 2 1/2-inch round; a thicker slice will need closer to a 1 1/2-inch round.) Place both the bread and the cut-out hole in the skillet.
- When the bread is lightly toasted on the bottom, turn it over, add a tiny bit more butter or oil to the middle of the hole if the pan is dry, then add the egg. If you're dealing with a thick slice of bread, reduce the heat to low. If your slice is thin, keep it on medium.
- Cover the pan and cook until the white part of the egg is firm but the yolk is still runny. Check it often to avoid overcooking the yolk.
- Remove it from the heat, salt it ferociously, add a few turns of pepper, the avocado, and any desired toppings. Enjoy.