- 8 pieces bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 3 tablespoons canola/vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees, and prepare 2 baking sheets with slightly greased aluminum foil.
- In a cold frying pan, add chopped bacon. Turn heat up to medium, and cook bacon until crispy. Remove from pan, and drain on paper towels.
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium-high heat, and add popcorn kernels. Cover, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, shaking the pot occasionally until popping has almost stopped.
- In a separate large pot, add butter and melt on medium-high heat. Stir in brown sugar and corn syrup, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and continue to cook mixture for 5 minutes, or until caramel takes on a golden brown color.
- Remove caramel from heat, and add baking soda, salt and black pepper, stirring to combine. Lastly, add the bacon.
- Pour caramel over popcorn, and toss to coat. Divide popcorn between two baking trays, and spread out into one even layer. Bake for 1 hour, stirring the popcorn mixture every 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to parchment paper to cool. Break into pieces and enjoy!