- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 slices sourdough or French loaf bread (or 1 English muffin)
- 1 slice center-cut smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 egg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- Using a 3-inch ring mold, cut circles out of the bread (or leave the English muffin intact). Butter both sides of the bread. Butter the inside of the ring mold and set aside to use for the egg.
- Heat a small, nonstick pan over medium heat. Toast the bread on both sides until golden brown, 4 minutes per side. Remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- In the same pan, add the bacon and cook over medium heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain of excess fat. Carefully clean the pan of bacon fat.
- Place the ring in the center of the pan. Pour the egg into the middle, keeping the yolk intact. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cheese on top and then the bacon. Pour 1/3 cup of water into the pan and cover with a lid to steam for 2 minutes.
- While the egg cooks, spread ketchup on one piece of toasted bread and mayonnaise on the other.
- Remove the lid from the pan and carefully remove the ring mold. Using a spatula, place the egg on the prepared bread and top to form a sandwich.