- 6 large eggs, separated, plus one whole egg
- 3/4 cup granulated cane sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 box vanilla wafers, about 60 cookies
- 5 large ripe bananas, sliced
- In a small bowl, lightly beat 6 egg yolks with one whole egg.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the beaten eggs followed by the milk. Simmer the mixture, uncovered, over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread a thin layer of the pudding into the bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. Arrange a layer of vanilla wafers on top of the pudding followed by the banana slices. Spread one-third of the remaining pudding over the bananas and continue layering wafers, bananas and pudding, making sure to end with pudding.
- To make the meringue topping, beat the reserved egg whites with a pinch of salt until medium peaks form. Gradually incorporate the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until glossy stiff peaks form.
- Spread the meringue over the pudding with a spatula, making a few swirls. Bake until the meringue is lightly toasted and golden brown, about 6 minutes.