- 1 pound large rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons salt, divided
- 2 cups pesto
- 1 cup ricotta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the rigatoni until al dente. (Pasta should be firm enough to stand up in the springform pan.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix pesto with ricotta. Add olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to a pastry bag.
- Line a 10-inch springform pan with olive oil. Carefully place cooked rigatoni upright in the pan so that they are all touching and resemble a honeycomb. Fill each rigatoni with pesto and ricotta mixture. Top with tomato sauce, and cover with shredded mozzarella. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Run a knife along the edge of the pan to help release the pie from the pan. Remove the ring. Garnish with fresh basil, and serve!