Dulce de Leche Doughnuts
Sweet, puffy doughnuts doused in powdered sugar are made even better when filled with rich dulce de leche.
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dulce de leche
- In a small bowl, combine milk, yeast and a pinch of sugar. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and a pinch of salt. Add the yeast, eggs, butter and vanilla. Knead well for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a surface covered with flour, and flatten it using a rolling pin until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a 2-inch circular cutter, cut out circles of dough and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle dough with flour, cover with a clean cloth and let rise in a warm location for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Heat a few inches of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Deep-fry dough circles until golden brown on both sides. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Using a knife, make a small cut in the side of each and fill with dulce de leche.