Baklava Frangipane Tart
Delicate, buttery pastry with an orange blossom and pistachio layer and an almond cake layer.
- 195g all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 113g unsalted butter, cold
- 2 egg yolks, from large eggs
- 120 g pistachios
- 120 g hazelnuts
- 2 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- For the orange syrup
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- zest of one orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 113g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to the bowl of a food processor and pulse to mix well. Add the cold butter and blitz for about 20 seconds until you reach a crumbly sand like texture. Add the egg yolks and blitz for another 10 seconds or so until well distributed.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in a piece of plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. For this recipe you’ll need a 9” round tart tin.
- Once the dough has chilled, roll out the pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper to about 3-4mm thick. Remove the top sheet of paper and use the bottom sheet to help you flip the pastry over into the prepared tin, then remove the paper. Gently press the dough into all the corners and make sure the top edges are even. Prick the base all over with a fork.
- Line the tart case with the same piece of baking paper and fill with baking beads (or dried chickpeas). Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the baking paper with baking beads and return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Add the pistachios and hazelnuts into the bowl of a food processor and blitz until finely chopped. Alternatively, if you don't have a food processor, you can chop them by hand.
- Add the cinnamon and sugar and mix well. Set aside about 4 tbsp of the nut mixture and place in a separate bowl. You’ll use that to sprinkle on top of the tart.
- For the orange honey syrup
- Heat all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and boil for 8 minutes stirring every so often until thickened.
- Add the nut mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour into the cooled down tart tin and use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture out evenly. Set aside to cool.
- Beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add the vanilla extract and beat well. Gently fold through the flour and almond meal.
- Carefully spread the mixture over the top of the nut filling. Bake for 40-45 minutes, turning the tray half way through, until golden and springy on top.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE