- 6-8 ripe but firm bananas
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 14 oz. frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- Coconut ice cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel and slice bananas in half lengthwise and set aside.
- Heat a 10-inch oven-safe skillet on medium. Add sugar, salt, and butter. Stir to combine and allow to caramelize until it turns amber in color. Stir in some coconut flakes and sesame seeds.
- Arrange the bananas, cut side down in the skillet. You can cut bananas into smaller pieces to fit. Turn off the heat and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Roll out the puff pastry until it’s as wide as the skillet. Cut out a round, a little bigger than the skillet. Place the pastry over the bananas and gently tuck it into the edges and over the bananas. Use a fork to prick holes throughout the pastry.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Set aside for 5 minutes. Place a large plate over the skillet and carefully invert the tart tatin onto it.
- Slice and serve as is or with coconut ice cream.