- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for serving
- 4 mini bananas
- 1/2 cup salted caramel
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small saucepan on medium-low heat, add heavy cream, vanilla bean, vanilla extract and salt. Heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk yolks and sugar together. Temper the eggs with warm cream 1/4 cup at a time until all cream is used. This will help the eggs from curdling.
- Pour creme brulee filling into ramekins, a little over a half full. Slice mini bananas lengthwise in 4 pieces, and place 2 pieces per ramekin. Place ramekins in a casserole dish, and pour water halfway up the dishes to ensure even baking. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until brulee is just set. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill at least 4 hours and up to overnight. To serve, sprinkle each ramekin with one tablespoon of sugar and brown with a brulee torch. Brulee will keep up to 5 days untorched in the refrigerator.