- 1 vanilla pound cake, sliced into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced into thin slices
- 2 pints neapolitan ice cream
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate fudge sauce
- 3/4 cup peanuts, finely chopped
- Line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Cut 2 1/2-inch rounds out of the sliced pound cake and set onto the sheet tray. Layer a teaspoon of caramel sauce and 3 to 4 banana slices onto 8 rounds of cake, then top each with a second layer of cake and press lightly to seal.
- Top each mini layer cake with a scoop of neapolitan ice cream and place in the freezer for about an hour.
- When cakes are almost fully frozen, place the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and egg whites are warm, about 5 minutes.
- Whip mixture with the whisk attachment of a stand mixer until the mixture is lofty, glossy and holds stiff peaks. Add vanilla, mix well and place mixture into a piping bag.
- Pipe meringue onto frozen layer cakes, covering the entire surface. Toast the meringue with a brulee torch, top with a cherry and serve immediately with hot fudge sauce and chopped peanuts.