- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3/4 cup almond flour (not almond meal)
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Brown and yellow food coloring
- Raspberry jam
- Edible ink pens
- Combine the confectioner's sugar and almond flour in a bowl, then sift 3 times.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until foamy. Add the cream of tartar, then beat until soft peaks form. Add the superfine sugar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Sift the dry mixture into the egg mixture and gently fold to combine.
- Add the vanilla extract and gently mix to combine. Divide the batter in half and dye one half brown. Dye about 2 tablespoons of the remaining white batter yellow.
- Place the batter into piping bags fitted with large round tips. To create Belle, pipe a white circle, then bangs and a bun with the brown batter. Pipe her hair band and earrings with the yellow batter. Pipe a slightly larger white circle for the matching bottom side of the macaron. To create the Beast, pipe a rounded triangle with the brown batter. Pipe eyebrows and the bridge of his nose with the white batter. Pipe another rounded triangle for the matching bottom side of the macaron. Tap the baking sheets on your countertop a couple times to remove any air bubbles. Let the macarons sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Set your oven to 375F, heat for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325F. Bake the macarons, one sheet at a time, for 6-8 minutes, rotating halfway through. After each batch, increase the heat to 375F, heat for 5 minutes, then reduce to 325F and pop the next sheet into the oven!
- Allow the macarons to cool on the sheet for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to fully cool. (We recommend leaving them overnight, since they will be quite delicate and need to slightly stiffen in order to draw the faces.)
- Draw Belle's eyes and mouth and the Beast's hair markings, eyes mouth and nose with the edible ink pens.
- Place a dollop of raspberry jam between the top and bottom macarons, sandwich them together and enjoy!