- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 3/4 pounds beef bourguignon (cut into small pieces)
- 2 3/4 cups button mushrooms, halved
- 5 shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 3/4 tablespoon flour
- 2 3/4 butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 bottle red Burgundy wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 dark chocolate squares
- 3 carrots, sliced
- Add olive oil to a Dutch oven or large pan, and brown the pieces of beef, keeping them spaced out while cooking. Remove and set aside.
- Add some more olive oil to the pan, and sauté the mushrooms with the whole shallots and the garlic; cook until golden brown.
- Add the butter and flour, and cook until the mix thickens. Then add the beef broth, wine and the pieces of beef.
- Continue cooking on high heat until the sauce begins to thicken, then add the thyme and bay leaves. Cover the pan and simmer on medium heat for 2 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Add the chunks of chocolate and carrots. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 30 minutes.