- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp lemon extract/oil
- For the drizzle topping:
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 150g icing sugar
- 75g caster sugar
- Heat oven to 180 C /160 C fan and grease and line a 2 lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper and butter.
- Beat together the butter and caster sugar in a stand mixer until pale and creamy, about 5 minutes, then add the eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through. If the mixture looks like it’s about to split, add a tablespoon of flour to bring it back together.
- Sift in the self-raising flour and add the finely grated lemon zest and the lemon extract/oil then fold in until well combined. If the mixture is too thick, add 1 tablespoon milk to loosen slightly.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared tin and level the top with a spoon or offset spatula.
- Bake for 30 mins, uncovered, then cover with foil and bake for a further 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Whilst the cake is cooking, mix together the lemon juice, icing and caster sugars to make the drizzle and set aside until needed.
- Once out of the oven, prick the warm cake all over with a thin skewer, then immediately pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve with a little lemon zest grated over the top if you wish.