- 125 grams butter at room temperature
- 75 grams packed dark brown sugar
- 115 grams corn syrup
- 40 grams fancy molasses
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 425 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 baking trays with parchment. Beat the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and molasses together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Add in the flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix together with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Knead it for a minute or so. Shape the dough into 2 disks, wrap and chill for about a 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line 2-3 baking trays with parchment paper. Between two pieces of parchment, roll out the first disk of dough 4mm.
- To make the wings, use a heart cookie cutter around the outside of the dough cutting out a little over half a heart. (Each heart cut will only make one wing.) Then run something with a scalloped edge around the raged inside edge of the heart. I like to use a tart pan. Place two wings side by side facing each other on the cookie sheet.
- Then cut out a man shape. Using the ginger man cookie cutter, cut out the man shape from the wings so that the body and the wings sit evenly. Place all three parts together on the cookie sheet and press them together. You may need to wet your finger with water and run it along the seams to ensure they stay together.
- Roll scraps as you go and continue with the second piece of dough--any scraps can be stored chilled and then re-rolled until it has all been used. Top them off with a brush of melted butter and sprinkle of both cinnamon and raw sugar.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes until you see them brown a little just around the edges. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the tray before removing to cool completely.