- 2 teaspoons ground anise seed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 grams) sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (175 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups (250 grams) semolina flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl, add anise, olive oil, sugar, butter and eggs. Beat until smooth. Add the flour, semolina and baking powder. Mix by hand until a dough forms, about 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a rubber baking mat. Form it into a log that is 6 inches wide and about 12 inches long. (The width is more important than the length.)
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden around the edges but still a little soft on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack. Turn oven down to 350°F.
- Once cool, cut the biscotti into 3/4-inch pieces. Place them cut-side down on the baking sheet. Return them to the oven for an additional 20 minutes, or until the golden brown has created a lovely ring around each piece. Remove and allow to cool. Dunk in your coffee and enjoy.