- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 jars maraschino cherries plus 2 tablespoons juice
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Using an electric mixer whip butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Slowly add in flour mixture and mix until dough forms.
- Heat chocolate chips and condensed milk in a saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in reserved cherry juice. Cover with foil or pot lid to keep warm.
- Working with 2 tablespoons of dough at a time, roll into balls and space them 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Using your thumb make an indent in the centre and place a cherry into the dent in each cookie. Top with 1 tablespoon of the melted chocolate mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until just set. Let cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Repeat with any remaining dough.