Black Forest Roll
- 1 1/4 cups dark chocolate, chopped
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate, shaved
- 1 cup sour cherries, halved
- 3/4 cup cherry syrup
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1/3 cup sugar
Black Forest Roll
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease pan and line with parchment paper, cutting into the corners to fit.
- Place chocolate in a small saucepan with 1/4 cup of water and stir over low heat until the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until thick and pale then whisk in the chocolate mixture.
- Completely clean and dry the electric whisk attachment and whisk the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form.
- Using a large spatula, fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture 1/3 at a time until just combined.
- Pour into the baking sheet and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Place a piece of parchment paper slightly larger that the cake onto your surface and sift the cocoa over top.
- Turn out the cooked cake onto the cocoa. Peel away the paper.
- Carefully roll up the cake using the paper as a guide. Set aside and let cool completely.
- Whisk up the whipping cream to soft peaks just before assembly.
- To assemble, unroll the cake and brush with the syrup, spread evenly with the cream, place the cherries around evenly and then sprinkle some chocolate shavings.
- Re-roll the cake and top with more whipping cream, cherries and chocolate.
- Strain out your cherries, reserving the liquid and cut in half, set aside.
- Place the cherry liquid, sugar and rum on a medium heat to reduce, roughly 5 minutes. Set aside.
Live classes hosted by top food & beverage pros RSVP HERE