Spicy, flavorful fish is best enjoyed in a simple sandwich.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 catfish filets
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 sourdough sandwich rolls, toasted
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove freshly grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon chipotle adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, until slightly smoking.
- Mix the salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, onion and garlic powder, and thyme together in a small bowl.
- Coat the fish evenly with the seasoning and place in the skillet.
- Toast sandwich rolls.
- Cook on each side until seasonings darken, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Flip fish on the other side and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, grated garlic, chipotle sauce, and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, slather sauce on each side of bread, top with lettuce and catfish and serve.
- Cook with soul. Eat with pleasure!