- 2 apples
- 2 cups beignet or fritter mix
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Oil for frying
- Ice cream and caramel sauce for a la mode
- Preheat oil to 350°F.
- Slice an apple in half. Using a melon baller, scoop out the seeds.
- Using a paring knife, create concentric circles (like an onion). Flip over the apple and slice along the outside, starting about 1/4 inch from the middle, following the arc of the apple (careful not to slice through the middle of the apple to keep it together). Repeat with remaining apples.
- Prepare batter by whisking water into fritter mix along with brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Place apple on a plate and place in microwave for about 2 minutes, or until apple starts to 'flower'.
- Dip apples into prepared batter and fry until golden brown and flowered. Serve with a scoop of your favorite ice cream and caramel sauce.