- 2 ¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour, plus more for rolling out
- 1 cup coconut milk. unsweetened
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 cups apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- ⅔ cup apple juice, unsweetened and divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, coconut milk, and coconut oil until well combined.
- Generously, flour a clean working surface, and roll out dough into a circle about a quarter of an inch thick. Roll out your dough to a quarter of an inch thick, then transfer to a 9-inch glass pie dish. Trim dough overhang, and reserve all excess pieces.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, sauté apples along with 2 tablespoons of the apple juice. Cook until the apples have softened. Add in cornstarch, cinnamon, and the remaining apple juice. Mix well, and simmer, stirring often, for about 2 to 3 minutes until thickened. Take off heat, and let cool slightly.
- In the pie dish, transfer apple filling. With the remaining pie dough, roll out to a quarter of an inch thickness and cut into 10 1-inch wide strips. Arrange dough strips atop filling, forming a woven lattice pattern; trim dough strip overhang. Next, using a fork, crimp edges of dough to seal.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the top turns golden brown. Let cool completely before serving to dogs.