- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 6 bratwurst sausages
- 1 tsp baking soda mixed with 1 cup boiling water, cooled
- 2 egg yolks, for egg wash
- 5 tbsp sesame seeds
Beer queso dip
- 1 1/3 cups beer
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 14 oz Monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp, for frying
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl until the dough is cohesive then turn out onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth. It should be slightly sticky, not too hard to handle. Cover the dough and let it proof for 1 hour, then place into the fridge for 1 hour.
- Fry the bratwurst until browned on the outside, but not fully cooked through and set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Gently deflate the dough on a lightly greased work surface, then divide into two.
- Flatten each piece of dough into a rough rectangle, and place a sausage diagonally in each corner of one of the pieces of dough. Roll the dough around each sausage, until all four sausages meet, forming a square. Cut 3-5 slits into each sausage then rotate the sausage sections so that the cut ends are facing outwards/inwards.⠀
- Place the remaining 2 sausages at the bottom of the second piece of dough and roll up the sausages inside the dough, then use a knife to cut into 8 pieces. Place these 8 pieces inside the ring of dough-covered sausages you already have to form 2 sausage rings. Brush the dough with the baking soda and water mixture then brush with the egg wash. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.⠀
- Place a greased circle of greaseproof paper in the center of the dough and then place an oven-safe bowl on top of this to keep the sausages from falling in on each other while baking. Place a large cake pan ring around the edge of the whole pretzel ring to keep its shape while baking. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the sausage pie from the oven and pour the beer queso into the oven-safe bowl.
Beer queso dip
- Bring the beer to a boil in a pan set over a high heat. Turn the heat down and stir in the remaining ingredients.