- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3 barely ripe bananas, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 3 plain croissants, cubed
- 3 cups challah bread, cubed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and 6 tablespoons sugar until bubbly and starting to brown. Add banana slices and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk, heavy cream, remaining sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, bourbon, nutmeg and sea salt together. Add bananas, chocolate and chopped breads.
- Pour mixture into an 8-by-8 baking dish, and cook in a bain-marie (water bath) for about an hour or until golden brown and bubbly. The bread pudding should have a nice caramelized crust and a moist (not wet or dry) interior.