- 12 breakfast sausages
- 12 strips bacon
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch, for dusting
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, for serving
- Prepare the sticks: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Working carefully, wrap a piece of bacon around a breakfast sausage. Repeat until all sausages are used. Use toothpicks if necessary to keep the bacon in place. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until bacon is nearly cooked. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly while you make the corn dog batter.
- Make the batter: In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, salt and sugar until thoroughly combined. Stir in eggs and buttermilk and mix until batter is thick but pourable. Add more buttermilk if necessary.
- Make the corn dogs: Bring vegetable oil to 350 degrees. Skewer each prepared bacon-wrapped sausage with a 1/4-inch-thick skewer. Dust each with cornstarch and dip into the cornmeal batter. Place into oil and fry until golden. Repeat with remaining dogs, frying up to three at a time, and serve immediately with maple syrup.