The secret to the perfect tiramisu? The tin you use!
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 oz mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp gelatin, dissolved in 2 tbsp just boiled water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 14 Italian ladyfingers
- 2/3 cup cold strong coffee
- 1/3 cup marsala/kahlua
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Chocolate shavings, for decoration
- Dissolve gelatin in 2 tablespoons of boiling water, and mix into mascarpone cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar and stir to combine then place over a saucepan of simmering water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, whisking constantly. When mixture is thickened and pale, remove the bowl from the heat and continue to whisk until very thick. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before mixing in the mascarpone gelatin mixture and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture and set aside.
- Mix the cold coffee with the marsala/kahlua, and dip the ladyfingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, but not soggy. Arrange the ladyfingers in the indents of the brioche pan, forming a circle of ladyfinger.
- Pour the egg mixture into the brioche pan until it reaches the top and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, dust the top of the tiramisu with cocoa powder and serve immediately sprinkled with chocolate curls.