- For the broomsticks:
- 1 package frozen kataifi (or shredded phyllo dough), thawed overnight and brought to room temperature before use
- 1 package pretzel sticks or breadsticks
- Puff pastry, cut into thin 1/2-inch strips
- Egg wash (1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water, beaten together)
- For the cheese dip:
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Emmental cheese, grated
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Pinch of finely ground black pepper
- Make the broomsticks: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut pieces of dough strands with scissors to create the bristles of the broom. Wrap the ends of the pretzels with puff pastry and firmly press phyllo dough around the pretzel. Wrap a smaller strip of pastry around the bristles to secure. Place on prepared baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Leave a damp paper towel on phyllo dough to ensure it doesn’t dry out.
- Make the cheese dip: In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and lemon juice together until cornstarch has dissolved. In a medium saucepan, heat white wine until it starts to bubble. Slowly add cheeses, 1/4 cup at a time. Heat for 5 to 10 minutes until melted and bubbly. Add nutmeg and black pepper to taste. Dip broomsticks in cheesy dip! Enjoy!