- 3-4 slices of stale ciabatta bread (or sun-dried ciabatta bread from specialty store)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Dissolve salt in water. Dunk bread in salty water for 15-30 seconds, until bubbles emerge around the bread. You want the bread to be pliable but still crisp.
- Break into individual pieces; slices should yield 9-12 pieces, depending on size. Place bread pieces on a tray.
- Place tomatoes between two plastic container tops.
- Using a serrated knife, slice through the tomatoes to halve them.
- Add to a bowl, season with salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add torn basil into the tomato mixture, along with garlic. Stir to combine. Set aside until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, spoon some of the liquid from the mixture over 3-4 slices of the bread and top with tomato mixture.