- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Red and blue food coloring
- Vanilla frosting
- Popping candy
- Licorice rope
- Combine the cake mix, milk, vegetable oil and eggs in a bowl. Divide the batter between 3 bowls and dye one bowl blue and one bowl red.
- Spray 3 loaf pans with cooking spray and pour the batter into the pans. Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the pans and cool completely.
- Slice the browned tops and bottoms off the cakes and cut them into circles using a cookie cutter. Use a large piping tip to cut the centers out of each circle. Save the centers!
- To assemble, place a red cake round on your work surface. Tear a red center in half and insert into the middle of the red cake. Spread some icing onto the red cake and top with a white cake. Repeat with more icing and a blue cake. Fill the cavity with popping candy, then seal with half a blue cake center.
- Poke a small hole in the top and insert a piece of licorice rope.
- Then bite into the cakes to reveal the candy inside!