- 2 large navel oranges
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for coating
- Boil a pot of water.Thoroughly wash the oranges to get rid of any waxy residue. Slice off both ends, and then follow the curve of the oranges to slice off the peel. Try to keep most of the pith intact. Slice off any remaining fruit flesh, and slice lengthwise into strips.
- Add the peels into the boiling pot of water and allow to soften for at least 5 minutes. Drain and set aside on a rack.
- In a saucepan, combine water and sugar. Stir until dissolved and then heat to boil. Once boiling, add the peels and reduce to a simmer. Allow the syrup to thicken, about 20-25 minutes. Remove peels and spread evenly across a cooling rack. Allow to dry for at least 2 hours. You can speed dry in the oven at the lowest temperature, until the peels feel slightly tacky.
- Coat the peels in sugar, and allow to dry or serve right away.