- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1-2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter (I like Vegan Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 2 tablespoons miso paste (white or red is fine)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Lime zest & ground ginger, to garnish
- In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil, then add the popcorn kernels. Quickly cover the pot with lid, and continuously shake the pot while holding the handles until the popping stops. Remove from heat and spread the popped corn evenly on a baking sheet.
- Heat the oven to 250°F.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, and whisk in the brown sugar, agave and miso paste. Bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat, and quickly whisk in the Sriracha and vanilla, then whisk in the baking soda. (The mixture should turn a creamy color and start bubbling more once the baking soda is added.)
- Moving quickly, pour the caramel over the popcorn. Toss with a wooden spoon, making sure to cover all the kernels. Place in the oven for 30-60 minutes (depending on how crispy you want it), tossing every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to harden completely. Sprinkle with lime zest and ground ginger. Enjoy!