- 1 cup grated carrots (approx. 1 large carrot)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup canned sardines, drained and shredded
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups cream cheese, room temperature
- Sliced carrot
- Combine the grated carrot and egg in a bowl and beat until well combined. Add the sardines, sunflower seed oil and water and mix until combined. Add the flour and mix well.
- Spray two 4-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and divide the batter between them, smoothing the surface. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350F for 35 minutes, until golden brown on top. Cool completely in the pans.
- Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Slice each cake in half to create a total of 4 layers. Place one layer on a serving tray of your choice and spread 2 tablespoons of cream cheese over the surface. Repeat with the remaining layers. Cover the entire surface sparingly with cream cheese - they shouldn't eat too much cream cheese, so just use enough to give the cake a white appearance. Place the remaining cream cheese in a piping bag fitted with a small star-shaped piping tip and pipe dollops of cream cheese onto the top of the cake.
- Place a heart-shaped carrot onto each dollop and serve!