- 1 1/2 large heads of cauliflower, steamed
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup basil leaves, packed
- 1 cup shredded Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup almond meal or panko
- 10-12 mini mozzarella balls
- Olive oil
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Cook the cauliflower in a stovetop steamer or in the microwave until softened. Drain well, and dry with a clean towel or paper towel. Set aside.
- Toast almonds in a dry skillet until just browned. Careful not to burn.
- In a food processor, pulse together basil leaves, cheese, toasted almonds, garlic, salt and pepper. Remove pesto and set aside.
- Into the food processor, add steamed cauliflower and pulse until coarsely ground. Add to the pesto and add the egg. Mix well.
- Grab a palmful (about 2 inches in diameter) of the mixture and fill with a mozzarella ball. Close the ball, toss in the almond meal or panko and place on the baking sheet. Continue until all cauliflower mixture is gone.
- Drizzle the cauliflower balls generously with olive oil. Bake in the oven at 400°F until browned and crispy, about 25-30 minutes. Eat with a fork, and serve with your favorite marinara sauce!