Cheese Filled Twinkies
Why do Twinkies have to be sweet? Try this savory corn bread and cheese filled-version of the classic snack.
- 1 1/4 cup Stone Ground Cornmeal
- 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 2 large Eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp Butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 cup Milk
- 6 Mozzarella cheese sticks, sliced in half
- Preheat your oven to 425˚F and grease a Twinkie tin with butter and place in the oven. This ensures a crispy exterior.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add in the eggs, melted butter and milk. Stir till just combined and then pour half way up each mould of the hot pan. Carefully place a cheese stick into the centre of each mould and then bake for 12 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before popping out of the tin. Enjoy warm.