- 1 1/2 pounds ribeye
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces smoked gouda, shredded
- Canola oil, for frying
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- Place ribeye in freezer for 1 hour. Remove from freezer, and thinly slice.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl; set aside.
- In medium sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil and onion. Sauté onion until translucent and soft, 5-6 minutes.
- Add ribeye and sauté until steak is slightly pink, about 5 minutes more. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add cheese and mix thoroughly until cheese begins to melt. Remove from heat, and strain in a fine mesh sieve if there is liquid in the pan. Let cool slightly.
- Add oil to a medium Dutch oven, filling 3/4 of the way to the top. Preheat oil to 360°F.
- Equally divide ribeye mixture in the center of each egg roll wrapper. Fold wrapper in about 1/2 inch on each side. Brush egg roll wrappers with egg wash. Roll up and seal edges.
- Place egg roll in oil, and fry for 3-4 minutes until golden brown, making sure to flip egg rolls while frying. Fry in batches to avoid over-crowding. Remove egg rolls to a paper-towel-lined plate. Serve hot.