- 1/2 pounds bacon, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, cleaned and cut in half
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of cayenne
- Preheat oven to 400°F, and butter a casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until starting to crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, and reserve bacon fat.
- Place Brussels sprouts in pan, cut side down, and allow to caramelize slightly. Season with salt and pepper, add garlic, shallots and butter, and cook another 3 minutes until tender.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir to incorporate. Add cream, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until it starts to thicken, 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with white cheddar, season with salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne. Toss bacon and Brussels sprouts mixture together with cheese sauce, pour into baking dish and top with Parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and bubbly.