- 4 dried guajillo chiles
- 2 dried ancho chiles
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over high heat and toast guajillo, ancho chiles, onion and garlic.
- Cook, turning occasionally, until chiles are puffy and onion and garlic are charred.
- Add in remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until onions and chiles are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly before blending on high until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.